Seba’s fruit bats are very important to their ecosystem as seed dispensers due to their diet. They can sometimes eat thousands of seeds in a single night, and although only a few of these wil go on to germinate, they are providing a vital service to the rainforest.
These fruit bats can live in large colonies but within these colonies will form smaller groups. A single male will guard a harem of several females and their young. Competition for harems is fierce and only 20% of adult males manage to keep control of one. The other 80% of males form bachelor groups and will live together until they have their chance to take on a harem of their own.
Seba’s fruit bats breed twice a year. Males will defend females even more agressively at this time and will mate with all the receptive females in his harem. Females usually have one offspring.